Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Week 4, Thing 8 - RSS feeds

What a pleasant surprise! It was actually pretty easy to set up my own Bloglines newsreader account. I liked the discovery resource: RSS in Plain English. Although, I had to watch it a couple of times because it moved a bit too quick for me as I was taking notes! Fortunately, I've been able to subscribe to several feeds. This has been a very enjoyable learning experience and something that I'm going to continue to use! Thanks to those who have shared their public account...may give that a whirl in the future.

Libraries can use this in many ways. Librarians have an additional way to provide excellent service to patrons because they quickly have access to many online updated news resources. Plus, within BCPL, maybe we could use the "Really Simple Syndication" concept by categorizing different topics which apply to the organization and are frequently updated... current book releases and reviews, news about authors, rennovation/new building updates, BCPL in the News, BCPL events, meetings, staff development workshops, staff association events etc. It could be a great way to communicate up to the minute BCPL news!











No comments: